12.13.2011

the thing

Here's the thing about trying to save money (which is a task I am undertaking at the moment):  it sort of lends itself to healthy eating, almost accidentally ...

This is mainly because I have been trying to stay in and cook instead of go out to eat. Of which, I do a lot. No, I mean, like, I actively try not to set foot in my kitchen, do a lot of eating out. I became slightly hyper aware of this fact when a friend of mine told me I'm one of the few people she eats out with. And I realized it may be a requirement of mine to be my friend - that you eat out with me.  And I have been mildly aware of this problem for a bit now. Another item to work on...

But anyhow, I've gotten back into making coffee at home with my (purchased by-myself-for-myself) french press - in efforts to kick my (seriously problematic) Starbucks addiction. The personal ownership of my french press is very important to me and a newly conquered thing this year. I gave away my last (amazing!) french press as it was given to me by someone who needs to hold zero space in my life now. And I'd had that darn french press since probably '03 or '04, and I loved it. But it had to go. And now I am so happy every time I use the one I bought for myself this summer. It is amazing how small rituals matter so much.  And as for Starbucks, well, I'm still addicted, but easing off the crack ever so slowly. I get headaches just thinking about giving it up.

I've also been trying to use up just whatever happens to be in my kitchen cupboards / fridge, and tonight I made this amazing chicken chilli, mixed with whole wheat pasta, and threw in some green beans for color and it, surprisingly, turned out really well.  And I have leftovers! I never do leftovers, but I am learning to incorporate this concept into my life.  I am always surprised when I throw something together and it turns out well. I can follow a recipe pretty well. Cooking improvisation is not my strong-suit -- but I'm really getting better at it and kind of proud of myself for it.  The day could come when I'll think - oh - box of brownie mix - you're all I have left in my cupboards and I better make you because I'm trying to be thrifty -- as well as healthy -- and I'll just have 1 every other day or so (because I think that's healthy) but I'm pretty sure I wrote another blog post in the past about making the brownie mix up, sans eggs, and eating that alone. So, les-be-honest -- this "use up the stuff in your cupboards" plan will only take me so far. But for now, it's working.

The somewhat ironic thing to me is that, I've spent so much on "weightloss" in the past... memberships to gyms or weight watchers, etc, and training, special shakes, or various doctors and medications.
There is even HCG in my fridge right now (that I'm not taking and paranoid about, and what a wasted purchase that was because I am afraid to take it but I think it might actually help so why don't I just call my dr. and get over it, but still, I don't). I mean - it's really a profitable industry and yet...

... all it really takes is some wholesome food, and sweat.

No comments: