5.08.2008

Fri nights, no more ...

I am signing up for the Long Beach Half Marathon...

Beach Runners

is the organization I'm signing up with. Training is on Saturdays at 7am. It's already started but the kick-off party is not until Wed. 5/14... so I can still join.

The ICB LB 1/2 Marathon will be held on Sunday October 12th --> mark your calendars!

I went in for my 1st physical in a long long time just before the marathon training around Sept 05. But I went to more of a sports doctor- not a GP, and not an internist. And while I really liked that doc- and would totally recommend him- and went to his office for PT for a random kickball mishap w/ my knee-- that Dr. was not totally what I needed.

This time around- I know more. First of all, I know what I'm getting myself into. That was not true w/ the full marathon. God- no one knows what 26.2 is unless you've done it.

But 13.1 miles is WAY more manageable. And even as I say that- I remember a 12 mile run in which I wanted to lay down near Griffith Park in valley until dusk. But I didn't - I kept going. And I'll do that here and now. And Long Beach, typically, has great running weather- even in the summer. As long as you're out there early enough.

And apparently I need the threat of pain to get me out the door to exercise. I WILL run 2x a week b/c I can't show up to my Saturday training run and let the other people down by dragging. You just have to keep up.

I also remember when knocking out 8miles early on Sat a.m. was "easy breezy" - granted it was Fall in the Marina and not so hot as this will be... but this will only be 13- instead of 26. Once I get those 8 back- I'll be in good shape. Getting up to the 8 again is whats going to take some work...

New shoes are in order. Hurray!

No comments: