5.07.2008

soy milk

Alright folks, remember November? It was all shiny and new... and I was so optimistic. I ventured into "dark and twisty" land but I'm working my way back to shiny and happy.

Today I had a "complete" physical. I will spare you the details of all the tests that entails but let me assure you, it was in fact, complete. My health is emerging as a focal point of my life. Central to every aspect of everything. Understand some of what you get here will be too detailed, and some of it will be super glossy.

Nevertheless, it is all significant and impacting the weight loss journey.

~ I have high blood pressure- I'm going back on medication for this.
~ I have "possibly" a fatty liver- I am severely limiting my alcohol.
~ My lungs first had the age of a 50 yr old, then the age of a 36 yr old (after inhaler)-- yes, I've already quit, but I'm quitting smoking, again.

And these are just the highlights... I don't even have blood work back yet.

I am changing my diet. The goal is to eventually go organic. I'm testing it out right now. I also need to eat NO salt whatsoever and that is going to be a big adjustment for me.

Weight Watchers has a program called "core" ... its a little different than "points" ... and starting Saturday, that's what I'll be doing. I'm starting it now, but still watching the points b/c its difficult to make a switch like this mid-week. Core involves lean meats, whole grains, nonfat dairy, fruits & veggies, etc. You do not have to "count"- you just have to eat foods that are "core"... and this has ALWAYS been difficult for me b/c I eat so much processed food. And restaurant food. And lean cuisines. And alcohol. Etc etc.

But I've already gone grocery shopping. I am fully stocked and prepared to undertake this. I'm not gonna lie-- it's going to be REALLY hard for me. I am totally hooked on refined and processed sugars. I am going to go through withdrawal and I am prepared for that. It's not going to be cute. I get 35 points in a week for non-core foods. Which, I need for food, not beverages. For example, to count the bread in a turkey sandwich... So I need to plan for that.

But basically, I need an overhaul. This is just a small piece of everything going on with me. But I am overhauling my life... and it is only going to be for the better. In November, I was so quickly successful w/ WW b/c it was new and interesting to me still and I was motivated. I'd been on the verge of losing that until I had an awakening w/ my doctor.

I would like to live to a ripe healthy old age and I am not anywhere on that path right now. Right now I'm headed for a heart attack or stroke at 30 and the reality of that - not just the talk but real cold hard truth of that- is finally starting to sink and settle in with me.

The motivation is back!
I'm not about to let my lifestyle steal my life from me.

No comments: